Take the following action, if a hang occurs:
- Obtain the name of the installation file. Obtain the name and
version of the operating system. (Use uname -a on Unix.) Compare
the two resources to determine if the software and operating system
- Ask about operating system patches. Patches can interfere with
installs on otherwise supported operating systems.
- Check file and directory permissions.
- Use the Windows explorer or Unix df -k to check disk
- Insure unnecessary processes are shutdown.
- Determine how far the installation has progressed. Some Windows
installers hang during registry update. However, the actual
installation is complete and functional.
- Attempt to recreate the problem in-house.
Consultants should report persistent installation problems to the
Tech Support Manager. These problems may indicate critical install